Bernice Summerfield and the Criminal Code [AUDIO/2010.1.24]

☆☆


  There is absolutely no question that Lisa Bowerman is Bernice Summerfield at this point. She's the actor who first brought Benny to life on audio, and after more than two decades, she's still reaching new heights. Emma Thompson she may not be, but Bowerman's cemented herself as the definitive Benny for me and for countless others. I realize this has very little to do with the story at hand; I just wanted to get this off my chest, and perhaps let you know the surge of joy I feel whenever I see Bowerman on the cover of a Bernice Summerfield audio drama release.

  The Criminal Code (abbreviated for the sake of the review because I cannot be bothered to copy and paste the 'Bernice Summerfield and' part) is a story befitting Benny; it's Doctor Who as a heady mix of alien academic mystery and political intrigue, a concept that at least sounds like something the Virgin New Adventures would've done back in the day. With the Doctor characteristically out of the spotlight for a good portion of the story, Benny's left on her own to solve the mystery and save her Doctor  and as we all know, she's one eminently capable companion. I can't begin to tell you how delightful it is to listen to Lisa Bowerman play Benny every single time; she nails the character, and she even provides a cute Seventh Doctor impression as well. 

*:・゚✧*:・゚  

  The Criminal Code is like a distillation of what Companion Chronicles were made to be (at least, at the time): a strong role for the companion, and a story that reflects said companion's character traits. This ticks both boxes, what with it being a smartly written tale about a "dead language" from a long-lost civilisation capable of turning the speaker into God, as well as being part of the VNA timeline. I've always had a soft spot for this release, but then again I have a soft spot for anything concerning Bernice Summerfield. 




Comments

Popular Posts