The Demon Song [AUDIO/2023.2.16]

★★★☆☆


  What do I think of Stephen Noonan as the First Doctor? I think he brings something different to the William Hartnell character, a peculiar sort of youthfulness to the crotchety old man type that really took me off guard on first listen. I gradually became used to what Noonan wants to do with his interpretation -- which I take it is to be less of a Hartnell impression and more of a reinterpretation of the character's core -- and now I'm pretty much enjoying his take whenever he's about. Lauren Cornelius, on the other hand, was firmly a yes for me from day one. She doesn't sound particularly close to Jackie Lane, but she has the mannerisms and inflections down to the last detail. In short, these two are quite the pleasing duo to listen to, and they're the cherry on top to the wonderful fact that Big Finish is giving this rather underrepresented TARDIS duo a wealth of stories.

  The Demon Song stands out because it's a First Doctor adventure set in the 2020s (and I mean the real 2020s, COVID effects on the world and all), and because it's an atmospheric piece first and foremost. The MacGuffin of the story is literally an earworm tune that's portrayed in many different ways, after all, and the baddies turn out to be a much more conceptual, abstract villain from another dimension. It's exactly my kind of Dr. Who, and I eat it all up gladly. Nicholas Briggs is an old hand at directing audio dramas at this point, and he cooks up a dependable and fittingly aural experience that doesn't let Bob Ayres' script down; just listening to the earworm tune and the angels' lament scares me now. Yes, I recommend The Demon Song for all those interested. Trust me, Noonan's First Doctor will click for you at some point.


Comments

Popular Posts