The Nu-Humans [AUDIO/2012.7.5]

★★★☆☆


  I remember catching sight of this years ago while I was surfing through the Internet, probably been about a decade. I wasn't too familiar with Cavan Scott, Mark Wright and their works at the time (oh, how much that would change in a year or so), but I was very intrigued by the Nu-Humans picture, thinking to myself that I'd very much like to figure out how these 'new' humans ended up looking like that and what role they served in the story.

  Well, it's been a decade later, and I've finally listened to The Nu-Humans. The results are in, and it was pretty much as I expected -- something I wouldn't be averse to listening if nothing else was around at the moment. It's not the worst review I can give it, but I'm simply being honest here; it feels like a minimal-effort script from Scott and Wright (both of whom I know are capable of writing much better stuff), palatable but only just, with a Doctor, Amy and Rory trio that feels rather on the stale side. I'm ragging on The Nu-Humans a fair bit by now, so let me be clear: it's a solid little audiobook read by the ever-dependable Raquel Cassidy (starting to become a standout of this range), and the whole Nu-Human conspiracy is written as intriguingly as a concept as by-the-books as that can ever be. It's not exactly my cup of tea, but it's not repulsive in any way either... it's simply okay, and so this is the score I'm giving it.


Comments

Popular Posts