The Tides of the Moon [AUDIO/2022.5.17]

★★★☆☆


  I always love my Dr. Who with a touch of the fantastical, and The Tides of the Moon harkens back to the insane mix of mid-20th century sci-fi adventure and outright fantasy that something like The Underwater Menace showed in abundance. The Moon back in ancient times, with an alien species calling it home and a wealth of oceans and land to accommodate such a life. I do love it when writers push the boat out (even just a little bit) and unshackle themselves from what's plausible or possible and just do whatever they want. Who's a science fantasy show! Go wild!

  Well then, did Josua Pruett go wild? Not as much as I hoped, but there's still a wealth of meaty ideas here to enjoy. The Moon people's version of werewolves, religious/political turmoil, a city which is actually a carrier spaceship for the entire people to use to explore space -- it's clear Pruett had a fun time writing this adventure, and it's equally apparent that Helen Goldwyn had just as fun a time directing it. The first half is admittedly a bit of a mess (and I would've given it a lower score if it didn't improve from there), but once momentum kicks in and the madness is brought up to full capacity, I was able to join in on the funride. Hebe Harrison, with all her amicably bossy remarks, is not someone I suspect I'd be terribly good friends with in real life, but as a character she's simply a miracle. If there's anything I'm willing to say about the Water Worlds series, it's that Big Finish struck gold with Hebe, and the Sixth Doctor and Mel work wonders with her. The Tides of the Moon is high adventure as well as a contemplative look on culture and reconciliation of the past; neither are fully utilised or explored, but they're given just enough attention for me to enjoy the adventure in earnest.


Comments

Popular Posts