The Shakespeare Code [TV/2007.4.7]

★★★★☆


  A hard pill everyone swallows eventually is that there really is no objective parameter to how morality of an artist affects their artwork. Sadly, bad people can make good art, and Gareth Roberts is a particularly egregious (and sensitive) example of this in Dr. Who. He's written some incredible pieces of Who over the years, so for me personally, that whole thing that some people do whenever they say "oh, Russell T Davies probably rewrote the whole thing so it's practically his" isn't plausible. Plus, I've watched films for the best part of my life, so I'm a bit too much used to the fact that terrible people are capable of creating things I happen to like and love. As always, if you read my reviews, find a review (such as this one) where I praise the work of a known horrible person and you find that repulsive, you're free to turn away, close the tab. It's well within your right to consume the sort of writings and reviews that don't discomfort you. Trust me, it's not any easier for me to like the works of a man who considers people like me subhuman. I've just learned to live with it.

  So anyway, here comes The Shakespeare Code. Boring trait, I know, but I've always had such love for William Shakespeare plays, and I was blown away on broadcast by how obviously dedicated the episode was for the bard's works. I love it when historicals with "celebrity" figures from history pay homage to and feel like the works of that person; I'm not saying The Shakespeare Code is bona fide Shakespeare or anything, but it's got some of the trappings of his most famous plays. Love, death and witches -- all wonderful additions to the Dr. Who mythos. The atmosphere is ripe, the witchcraft runs deep and the wordsmith's words are as colourful and delectable as you'd expect. What's there not to like about this episode, honestly? Even the "political correctness gone mad" line is just the Doctor trying to placate Shakespeare; I've heard far worse from them trying to keep a morally dubious figure happy, I'm sure. Martha continunes to make a strong impression, trying to use her medical expertise whenever she can and carrying the emotional thread of the series by facing the brick wall of emotions that is the dashing Time Lord she's travelling with. Quite funny that a transphobe's episode contains extensive references to a popular set of works from another infamous transphobe, really... maybe that's the only thing that's truly aged badly? I remember loving the cheeky reference once upon a time, and now I go "haha, what a time that was." Simply put, this is a really solid episode that ticks practically most of my boxes -- atmosphere, direction, and a Doctor & companion team that excels. They even shot at the actual Globe Theatre as well... that's dedication of the production team for you. Hugely enjoyable stuff, this. Shakespeare's played in such a charming way as well, which helps a lot.


Comments

Popular Posts