Lost Property [AUDIO/2020.6.17]

★★★☆☆


  Finally, something to excite me. Stranded immediately stands out by being a departure from the norm (and by that, I mean an actual change of pace). Gone are the high-concept/low-excitement factors of Ravenous; now we have the TARDIS crew in our world, London in the year 2020, and the Doctor, Liv and Helen face the ultimate challenge of... finding a way inside the Doctor's apartment and paying rent. Trust me when I say this is the most fired up the three main leads have been in simply ages. Unfortunately, I can't make the excuse that Paul McGann sounds any more enthusiastic for the behind-the scenes interviews (he's always been quite relaxed on those segments); rest assured, though, that his Doctor's much more talkative and emotional here than he ever was in Ravenous. 

  Lost Property's not all "modern historical", to coin John Dorney's phrase (that comes later). There's a neat little alien machine thing that's controlling the mood of everyone inside the apartment building and the Doctor has to rig a kid named Robin's video game setup to access the "network". I'm usually not the hugest fan of adventures that are there to mainly set up new arcs and what have you... but since Stranded 1 is full of those, and I heavily enjoyed the boxset, I find myself liking the way all that setup's done here. This alien machine that aggravates everyone allows us to see the inhabitants of 107 Baker Street -- Tania, Aisha, Zakia, Ron, Tony, Robin and Ken -- at their worst. For some reason, this actually helps me become more accustomed to the characters which are going to be very important in the near future. We see them at their worst instead of their best, and they can only get better from here. Good call on Matt Fitton's part, furthermore, for placing the story a bit after the first moment the TARDIS team lands in 2020. It dispenses with the tedious introductions and lets the listeners get along with it to the juicy dramatic stuff. Very nice, Lost Property. I haven't been this wholly immersed in a series in a long time, let alone an Eighth Doctor one. Tom Baker as the Curator hardly makes the biggest appearance, but I appreciate his inclusion for that extra-special bit of continuity.


Comments

Popular Posts