Whisper [AUDIO/2019.10.9]

★★★☆☆


  The score remains the same, but I'm just putting it out there that Ravenous 4 has a completely different feeling to Ravenous 3, in a very good way. The sense of actual tension and the level of interest imbued in the production side of things as well as the strength of the actors' performances are all much stronger in this boxset than they have ever been in its predecessor, and I'm not complaining. Whisper is confident, and that's what I was desperate to feel again in an Eighth Doctor boxset. I certainly liked the Ravenous 3 entries, but I wouldn't call any of them confident. While most of them felt like shots in the dark, Whisper feels like Matt Fitton actually sitting down and being intent on delivering a solid Dr. Who story. Hey, before anyone accuses me of being pessimistic -- I actually really liked Ken Bentley's direction with this one!

  The Eleven's involvement with the TARDIS crew is hands-down the best thing about it. He presents a rogue element to the comfortable and tried-and-true formula, a wild card that the audience knows is eventually going to turn heel, trusted by the Doctor and less so by his companions. Mark Bonnar leaps at the chance to show what he's really got, and all that Ravenous nonsense aside... this is a very enjoyable, contained little thriller!


Comments

Popular Posts