Reverse Engineering [AUDIO/2022.8.9]

★★★☆☆


  Sometimes, you'd listen to/read/watch your daily dose of Dr. Who when something starts to make you think, 'if I were the type of person to be bothered by nonsensical science, I'd probably hate this'. That's Reverse Engineering in a nutshell, and it's rather odd that this would be the audio drama that makes me think about its scientific accuracy... because if one thing's a certainty in Who, it's that a lot of its internal workings makes no real sense. Neanderthals and last members of a long-extinct alien warlike species aplenty, this adventure feels like a shot in the dark on Jonathan Morris's part to create a somewhat coherent plot out of these disparate elements. The result? It's entertaining enough, flows smoothly enough with Helen Goldwyn's direction, and I had no problem listening to it. At this point in the series, Patricia McBride's still framed as a good person, an intellectual who would risk her own life for her friends, and it's a nice setup for what would ultimately become of the character. It's not the best Jonathan Morris script by a long shot, and it's yet another of the series that fails to grab me in any real, exciting aspect. 'Enjoyable' is the one word I would use to describe it, and I sincerely hope that something more out-there and ambitious comes my way from the Sixth Doctor/Mel/Hebe series. Hebe is a dear, though; she's the best thing about these adventures.


Comments

Popular Posts